In the age of standardized testing it is hard not to get caught up in the everyday shuffle of assessing the correct and incorrect answers. In art there is no right or wrong so sometimes assessment needs to take on the creative flavor of the class.
Here are a few easy assessments that are creative and fun:
· Write– have students write a mini saga or acrostic poem about their artwork
· Movie– have groups of students create a rap song about the lesson, record in iMovie for everyone to see
· Word association – at the end of class have everyone say one word that related to the lesson that day. If possible don’t let students repeat any words.
· Play a game – Bingo, Jeopardy, Pictionary, Who Wants to be a Millionaire are excellent ways to assess learning at the end of semester and/or year.
· Make a list – students make a list about the lesson using as many new vocabulary words that they can remember, time them and see how many they can write down in one minute
· Create a graphic organizer – Students will create a graphic organizer about their art work. Be creative by allowing students to work with crayons/markers/paint and 12 X 18 drawing paper.
How do you creatively assess your students learning?