I have been contemplating on how to improve my teaching as well as the learning that takes place in my classroom. I feel that I have become somewhat stagnant in my processes over the past 20 years even though I try to change the projects developed and keep my teaching style current with trends.
My school consists of 800+ students in the 5th and 6th grades in which I split evenly with a team teacher. At the end of last year we took a look at what we are teaching and decided to omit, re-fresh, and add new lesson plans to our repertoire.
- Implement more TAB lessons. (Teaching for Artist Behavior)
2. Create a service project; i.e. student-led teaching of art to a local nursing home community and/or pre-school.
3. Develop digital portfolios for student assessment.
4. Create interdisciplinary lesson plans.
5. Utilize technology in an interactive format; i.e. blogging, interactive white board, virtual learning through YouTeacher or Skype.
These are 5 ideas I have to improve teaching as well as learning in my classroom.
Can you share some of yours?